A comprehensive list of resources, videos, and discussions that I have watched, read, or inspired me on my game development journey.
There is a lot of really cool channels out there
- Game Maker’s Toolkit : the best game design channel. This is an in-depth analysis of known gaming systems, with developers interviews and more. It really deserves a look.
- Mental checkpoint : a channel by the creator of “Move Or Die” with quality content similar to GMTK
- AI and Games : a channel that analyzes the AI of different known games on their technical and creative aspects.
- Extra Credits : a very good quality channel that talks about game design. There are almost 400 videos so there's something for everyone.
- GDC : the official channel of the game developer conference, you can find talk about every aspect of game developement
- Ars Technica - Wars Stories : A series of video about talking about the development of famous games and how they fixed major problems that could have made them fail
I didn't read a lot of game design books but hopefully this section will grow in the future
- The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses : a book about using a system of card (lenses) to analyse your game design
- Masters of Doom : a biography of John Carmack and John Romero, the creators of the original DOOM and story behind its development
Cool videos and talks
A list of videos and talks, that I particulary enjoyed or found inspiring
- GDC - The animation process of Rain World : A talk about the procedural animations of Rain World and it fully simulated ecosystem
- The Art in Reload Animations : a super well edited video about gun reload animation
- GDC - DOOM: Behind the Music : a talk about the making of the reactive soundtrack of DOOM 2016 by Mike Gordon
- GMTK - How to Make an Indie Game Trailer : a video essay about editing a game trailer, the writing was helped by the industry’s top trailer makers
- GMTK - The Game Design of Dead Space : a series of 3 videos about the design of the Dead Space series and how it has shifted over the years
- GMTK - The Secret of Mario's Jump : a video essay about the design of Mario's Jump and how a single button press can mean multiple actions
- Juice it or lose it : a talk about the power of juicy effects
To be continued...